The Cayman Islands are a British Colony consisting of three small Islands, Grand Cayman (76 square miles), Cayman Brac (15 square miles) and Little Cayman (10 square miles). The Islands are situated approximately 180 miles northwest of Jamaica, 150 miles south of Cuba and 480 miles due south of Miami, Florida. There is a joint population of around 60,000 living on the 3 Islands, the majority (approximately 50,000) of whom are living in Grand Cayman.
Grand Cayman has a very cosmopolitan feel, with over 100 different nationalities living on Island, although the majority of the population is Caymanian.
Grand Cayman is known for being one of the most modern Islands in the Caribbean, making it extremely popular with tourists looking to experience Island living with access to the conveniences of back home! Cayman is known for having a safe, friendly and welcoming atmosphere giving visitors to the Islands, invaluable peace of mind.
In recent years the Cayman Islands have become one of the premier Caribbean tourist destinations winning a host of awards, some of which are set out below:
- Caribbean’s Leading Dive Destination (World Travel Awards)
- #1 Travel Destination in the Caribbean and Mexico (Trip Advisors Traveller’s Choice)
- World’s Friendliest Destination (Forbes HSBC Survey)
- Top 10 Islands in the Caribbean (Traveller’s Choice)
- Top 25 Beaches in the World (Traveller’s Choice)
- #1 Best Caribbean Family Vacations (US News and World Report travel ranking)
- #1 Best Caribbean Beach (US News and World Report travel ranking)
- Friendliest and best Snorkeling Destination in the Caribbean (Caribbean Travel and Life readers choice)
- Top Honeymoon Destinations (Bride’s Magazine)
As well as being a premier vacation and diving destination, Grand Cayman is also well known as being one of the leading financial centers in the World. Visitors to Grand Cayman can also enjoy some of the best Duty Free Shopping in the Caribbean.
Visitors to the Cayman Islands can look forward to warm, tropical climates ranging from 78°F-88°F all year round.
Grand Cayman is easy to reach from anywhere in the World, with flights direct from the UK (British Airways), various cities in the US including New York, Tampa, Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Charlotte, Miami and Newark (AA, Continental, Delta, Cayman Airways), Canada (Air Canada, Cayman Airways) and Jamaica (Cayman Airways).
The sister Islands, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are popular destinations for snorkeling and diving fanatics. They are also quite popular with honeymooners looking for a quiet and intimate atmosphere. The two smaller islands do not have the modern feel of Grand Cayman, but have a charming, inviting and relaxing environment where you can’t help but relax and absorb the natural beauty of these jewels of the Caribbean.